Saturday 30 June 2018
HT   0 - 0
{{p.PlayerName}} ({{p.Time}}') {{p.PlayerName}} ({{p.Time}}' pen)
{{p.PlayerName}} ({{p.Time}}') {{p.PlayerName}} ({{p.Time}}' pen)
{{p.PlayerName}} ({{p.Time}}') {{p.PlayerName}} ({{p.Time}}' pen)
{{p.PlayerName}} ({{p.Time}}') {{p.PlayerName}} {{p.Time}}' pen)

Forfar Athletic v Ayr United | Team Lineups

  • {{FireBaseMatch.Teams[Home].TeamName}} Lineup

  • {{player.ShirtNumber}}
    {{player.PlayerName}} ( {{player.SubTime}}')
  • {{FireBaseMatch.Teams[Home].TeamName}}Subsititions
  • {{Sub.Time}}' {{Sub.PlayerOff.PlayerName}} {{Sub.PlayerOn.PlayerName}}
  • {{FireBaseMatch.Teams[Home].TeamName}}Substitutes

  • {{player.ShirtNumber}}
    {{player.PlayerName}} ({{player.SubNumber}})
  • {{FireBaseMatch.Teams[Away].TeamName}} Lineup

  • {{player.ShirtNumber}}
    {{player.PlayerName}} ( {{player.SubTime}})
  • {{FireBaseMatch.Teams[Away].TeamName}}Subsititions
  • {{Sub.Time}}' {{Sub.PlayerOff.PlayerName}} {{Sub.PlayerOn.PlayerName}}
  • {{FireBaseMatch.Teams[Away].TeamName}}Substitutes

  • {{player.ShirtNumber}}
    {{player.PlayerName}} ({{player.SubNumber}})

Forfar Athletic v Ayr United | Match Report

Ayr made their way to Forfar for their first outing of the season for a pre-season friendly with ‘The Loons'.  Although the match ended in a 1 – 0 defeat, manager Ian McCall was happy with the ‘work-out' and highlighted that the importance of pre-season matches was to ‘build up fitness and sharpness'. 

With some established players unavailable, and McCall deciding not to risk Jamie Adams on the artificial surface, the initial United line-up still managed to have a quite familiar look to it with a couple of additions.  New signing Danny Harvie stepped in at left back, Ellis Hare-Reid took the keeper's gloves, and two trialists were listed (the yet to re-sign David Ferguson, and former Morton midfielder Andy Murdoch).

In a game of 4 quarters, a 2 min water break split each half, United would end the match with a very young and inexperienced team which would only lose out to a route one effort, finished off by Jamie Bain, in 65 mins.

Ayr dominated from the start with Forfar being restricted to a few meagre scraps in the United half. Ayr's sharp, incisive passing movement promised much and as early as 2 mins they went close, a curling Forrest drive from the edge of the box dipping just over the bar

On 14 mins McDaid did well down the right before cutting back to Trialist Andy Murdoch, who lifted the ball around the back of the Forfar defence, but Moore failed to make contact by the most minuscule of margins.

7 mins later McDaid twisted and turned past two defenders on the right before darting to the line, but a last-gasp block sent the ball out. From the corner, Rose found space in the centre of the box, but his header was well saved by McCallum.

It was all United, Forfar showing some lovely passing movement but with no edge up front, and at times Ayr camped around the edge of The Loons penalty area with the Angus men defending in numbers.

On 36 mins a Geggan shot from the right was comfortably saved, Moffat nutmegged a defender and charged into the box before being blocked just 10 yards out, Moore had a snapshot effort saved, before McDaid brought out the best from McCallum. Ayr continually prodded and probed, searching for opportunities while Forfar resolutely defended.

Out of the blue, Forfar suddenly sparked into life, working the ball forward to the edge of the box where Whyte released a drive goalward which Hare-Reid did well to clutch securely while diving to his left.

Halftime saw United ending the run out for Moore, Moffat, and Crawford, and the team started to take on a much less experienced look although Lawrence Shankland stepped on to lead the line.

 It wasn't long before Shankland had his first chance, creating space for himself in the box but uncharacteristically blasting wide.

Forfar started to come into the game, taking advantage of the more youthful United midfield, and pushing players forward but were exceptionally wasteful from two freekicks at the edge of the box after fouls by McCowan and Harvie.

With United looking relatively comfortable, on 65 mins they were undone by a route one attempt by Forfar. Andy Munro launched the ball from deep inside his own half to Jamie Bain on the edge of the United penalty area. The forward dropped the ball out of the air and turned before delicately lobbing over Hare-Reid and into the net. 1 – 0 Forfar.

On 73 mins Ayr looked certain to equalise when Shankland took the ball from 25 yards out and charged forward, working his way into the penalty area before seeing his strike palmed past the post by former Ayr keeper Willie Muir who had come on as a 58th min substitute. 

Rose was next to be frustrated as he powerfully headered a McGuffie corner only to see the ball knocked off the goal line on 80 mins and, 7 mins later, good interplay between McGuffie and Hilton ended with Hilton flicking the ball over a defender's head before blasting wide.

Next up for Ayr another friendly, this time against Stranraer at Stair Park on Tuesday, as United continue their build-up to the start of the season.

Forfar Athletic v Ayr United | Match Timeline


Forfar Athletic v Ayr United | Match Stats

Shots on Target
Fouls Committed
Corner Kicks
Stadium: {{FireBaseMatch.Stadium}}
Referee: {{FireBaseMatch.Officials[0].OfficialName}}
Attendance: {{FireBaseMatch.MatchTime.Attendance}}

Forfar Athletic v Ayr United | Media

Post Match Interviews