Sunday 03 March 2019
SPFL Reserve Challenge Cup
HT   0 - 0
Livingston Reserves
Ayr United
{{p.PlayerName}} ({{p.Time}}') {{p.PlayerName}} ({{p.Time}}' pen)
{{p.PlayerName}} ({{p.Time}}') {{p.PlayerName}} ({{p.Time}}' pen)
{{p.PlayerName}} ({{p.Time}}') {{p.PlayerName}} ({{p.Time}}' pen)
{{p.PlayerName}} ({{p.Time}}') {{p.PlayerName}} {{p.Time}}' pen)

Livingston Reserves v Ayr United | Team Lineups

  • {{FireBaseMatch.Teams[Home].TeamName}} Lineup

  • {{player.ShirtNumber}}
    {{player.PlayerName}} ( {{player.SubTime}}')
  • {{FireBaseMatch.Teams[Home].TeamName}}Subsititions
  • {{Sub.Time}}' {{Sub.PlayerOff.PlayerName}} {{Sub.PlayerOn.PlayerName}}
  • {{FireBaseMatch.Teams[Home].TeamName}}Substitutes

  • {{player.ShirtNumber}}
    {{player.PlayerName}} ({{player.SubNumber}})
  • {{FireBaseMatch.Teams[Away].TeamName}} Lineup

  • {{player.ShirtNumber}}
    {{player.PlayerName}} ( {{player.SubTime}})
  • {{FireBaseMatch.Teams[Away].TeamName}}Subsititions
  • {{Sub.Time}}' {{Sub.PlayerOff.PlayerName}} {{Sub.PlayerOn.PlayerName}}
  • {{FireBaseMatch.Teams[Away].TeamName}}Substitutes

  • {{player.ShirtNumber}}
    {{player.PlayerName}} ({{player.SubNumber}})

Livingston Reserves v Ayr United | Match Report

On Sunday Ayr United Reserves made the journey to The Toni Macaroni Arena to take on Livingston in the final of the Reserve Challenge Cup.

Both teams were unbeaten reaching the final, Ayr scoring 18 goals in the process and Livingston 9. Ayr progressed from a group with Albion Rovers, East Kilbride, Queens Park, and Airdrieonians while Livingston’s group included Stirling Albion, Raith Rovers, and Berwick Rangers.

Ayr got the game underway and it only took them 2 mins until they created their first chance. Finn Ecrepont played a long ball to Mark McKenzie who drove towards goal, but his shot was cleared for a corner. For the next 20 mins, both teams created chances, but neither managed to hit the target.

Livingston went close on 23 mins when Rafa De Vita's freekick was saved by keeper Ellis Hare-Reid.  2 mins later, Hare-Reid pulled off another fantastic save low to the right after a shot by Shaun Byrne from the centre of the box. Hare-Reid made another top class save 10 mins later when he tipped Hakeen Odoffin's header over the bar.

Both teams played out an exciting first half, creating chances but failing to find the back of the net. The halftime coach’s chat must have been something special as it took only Ayr 6 mins into the second half to break the deadlock, Declan McDaid firing a 25-yard drive past keeper Gary Maley and into the top right corner.

Ayr extended their lead on 55 min when a Mark McKenzie shot was saved by Maley but the ball rebounded to Luke McCowan who slammed it into the net. 0 – 2 to the Honest Men

Livingston pushed hard to try and get back into the game but on 61 mins Declan McDaid drove down the right wing, past the Livingston defence, and fired the ball home from a tight angle 6 yards out giving United a 3-goal cushion.

In the next 15 minutes, Ayr made a substitution with Mark Kerr going off and Kieran McLaughlin coming on. Livingston also made 3 substitutions with Gregg Wylde, Craig Henderson and Cameron Blues going off and Scott Hay, Levi Kinchant and Alberto Vezza all coming on.

In the 80th min, Livingston were awarded a penalty after Rafa De Vita was taken down in the box. Jack Hamilton stepped up to take the penalty, but his shot hit off the underside of the bar, failed to cross the line, and was cleared by the Ayr defence.

Livingston were determined to make up for the miss and immediately put pressure on the United goal. An intense attacking few minutes followed but Livingston’s attempts were repulsed by a resolute and well organised United defence.

To all intents and purposes, Ayr had this match won and as time ran out United rang the changes. With 5 mins to go Ayr brought on Stuart Faulds who replaced Mark McKenzie, and in the 90th min made a triple substitution with Declan McDaid, Leon Murphy and James Hilton going off and Kieran Balfour, Gabe Skeoch and Ross Love coming on.

After 90+3 mins the final whistle blew prompting celebrations among the Ayr team as winners of the Reserve Challenge Cup.


Hare-Reid, Hewitt, Ecrepont, Baird, Thorburn, Kerr, McDaid, Hilton, McKenzie, McCowan, Murphy Substitutes: Graham (GK), Faulds, McLaughlin, Balfour, Skeoch, Love


Maley, Pignatiello, Clark, Thomson, Odoffin, Byrne, De Vita, Blues, Hamilton, Henderson, Wylde Substitutes:  Pettigrew (GK), Kinchant, Rintoul, Hay, Vezza, Magee, Brown



Livingston Reserves v Ayr United | Match Timeline


Livingston Reserves v Ayr United | Match Stats

Shots on Target
Fouls Committed
Corner Kicks
Stadium: {{FireBaseMatch.Stadium}}
Referee: {{FireBaseMatch.Officials[0].OfficialName}}
Attendance: {{FireBaseMatch.MatchTime.Attendance}}